.

.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Missing Nashville

At the beginning of our marriage, I was extremely homesick.  I know, Bham is only a short 2 1/2 hour away from "home", but considering I was a wuss and went to college in my hometown, I had never been away from family and friends for more than a week at a time.  While I have grown out of my homesick phase, there are days when I get slightly nostalgic, and wish I was home.  And yes, I still call it "home".  I mean give a girl a break, if my dad occasionally still refers to Memphis as "home" after being away for 20 + years... I'm doing ok.

Here are the things I am specifically missing today:

1.  Obviously my family.  What's a Sunday lunch at the Smith compound without mom running around frantically in the kitchen trying to get everything done on time?  Or staying up late watching movies with dad, going to Buddy's soccer games, or Ash and me yelling at the TV whenever the Titans are on.


2.  Our friends.  Some of my best friends have actually moved away from Nashville as well, so they understand my "pain".  Love you Bug, Heath, and Ashleigh.  But the rest of my crew is still in the good ole' Ville having fun without me :)  I'm extremely blessed to have such an incredible group of friends, most of whom I have been best friends with since middle school.  God is good.  Not to mention, that all of Matthew's best friends also live in Nashville with their wives.  Thankfully, we get to see them fairly often.

Not all of us.. But this was the most recent picture I had with the most of us in it.  Sad part, it was Speight's wedding and she isn't even in the picture!  Sorry Speight!
But.. here we all are, back in the good ole' days of High School. 
We'll be hanging out with these guys not this weekend but the next in Gatlinburg!
3.  Harpeth Hills.  While we have been incredibly blessed to find a great church home at Homewood COC here in Bham, with an awesome young marrieds' CORE group... I sometimes still miss being at Harpeth on a Sunday.  Not just because I'm biased to my dad's preaching...which is so true by the way.  I also miss seeing familiar faces, being involved with happenings going on there, and obviously church camp.  :)

My senior year at Harpeth Hills, where we won 3 Trunk or Treat competitions in a ROW!
4.  Gerry House and the Big 98.  Can I tell you how depressed I am that this man is retiring before I even got a chance to move back?!  Radio in Nashville will never be the same.  After listening to him day in and day out on my way to school every morning in high school and college, I can't believe he's about to be gone!  I may be inconsolable for months!
You sure Gerry?
5.  Eating out.  I still CRAVE Baha Burrito, Satco, Puffy Muffin, and the Coop.  Thankfully, my mom is the greatest, and almost always has take out Puffy Muffin for us on Saturday for lunch whenever we come home for the weekend.  Another tradition we have started is to stop and get Baja Burrito on the way up to Lexington...we've done it almost every time.  We love Moe's, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it, it's not the same, not even close.

2 chicken fajitas with a side of queso dip is calling my name!
That's all for today... Excited about a weekend at home and my good friend Lindsey's wedding this weekend!  Oh by the way... I've been off for the last 3 days... Jealous?  I know my hubby is :)

No comments: