.

.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

26 Candles

Today is my sweet husband's 26th birthday! Congratulations baby on making it these 26 years! May the next 26 be even better.

I tried to surprise Matthew this morning and make him breakfast in bed. Unfortunately, I married a very intuitive man, and he figured out my plan the night before. Bummer. Regardless, I dutifully set the alarm early (8:15 am :) to get up to make him sausage, eggs (fried of course), bacon, and his grandmother's Honey Bun cake that is just to die for. Matthew said I baked it exactly right, but you can never be sure if he's just saying it to spare my feelings:) I thought it was good!


Thanking me for breakfast.

Unfortunately, Matthew has this thing called a "job". So he had to leave to go pretend to work, although I am aware that most of his afternoons are spent doing the crossword with his boss! So...I became a busy little bee around the apartment. It's tiring being a stay-at-home mom...and I don't even have the mom part yet! I headed to Wal-Mart to get all the "fixins" for dinner, came home, prepped for dinner, made a homemade carrot cake, made homemade icing for the cake, cleaned the apartment, stuck in laundry, started packing, iced the cake, ran 4 miles, showered, cleaned some more, did more laundry, finished packing, etc... I know, you're just exhausted thinking about it. I honestly was more tired when I sat down today than I am when I finish a shift at the hospital! So thank you to my mother who has done this many more years than me.

So, I may be a little cheezy when it comes to birthdays. I decorated the apartment with streamers, balloons, and a Happy Birthday sign. No, I am not married to a small child, but on the account that we were not doing gifts this year to save money, I thought his birthday deserved a little extra pizazz, thanks to the Dollar Tree! I know that I am not very creative, but I should definitely deserve an A for effort and thoughtfulness! (Speaking of A... my Pharmacology professor wrapped one up and served it to me on a silver platter, considering that my average for the class was a 89.3. It's possible I may forgive her now for making me miss Katherine's wedding festivities, or I may name my first born child in her honor, Youngshook Hardison anyone?).

Even Lexi got Daddy a card.

Matthew and I made authentic Mexican fish tacos for his birthday dinner tonight. I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E. I felt like I was at Baja... without running into at least 5 Lipscomb people while I ate them. We were amazed at how good the recipe was, thank you Food Network. I am now so full that I may never eat again, at least until we cut into that carrot cake in 30 minutes!

yum.

Again... Happy Birthday Matthew. I am so blessed to have you in my life.

Alas, I almost forgot. I am beaming with pride and joy to tell you all that last night I beat Matthew in Scrabble. Take a look at that score. I slaughtered him. It's not like I'm competitive or anything :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manager of Happy Acres Farm
Andrea, you are good at planning birthday parties. We are sorry that we could not share the carrot cake with you.

Leann said...

I love celebrating birthdays too!! Don't worry I've done my share of balloons and streamers before ;) Looks like you all had a good time, and happy birthday Matthew!