.

.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Swine WHO?

H1N1 hit the Hardison household with force this past Wed. Matthew had been experiencing a pretty nasty cough starting on Monday/Tuesday. I urged him to go to the doctor, but in his usual manly fashion, he wouldn't go. Wednesday came around and he felt worse, so as soon as we got home from school/work, I made him take his temperature... Needless to say, I was not surprised he was febrile (he had a fever). It was at this point, that I feared and expected the worst. We immediately called Amit (the MD PhD in his lab) to phone in some Tamiflu (which only works in the first 48 hours), and I headed to Wal-Mart to gear up with supplies, mainly Tylenol and fluids, plus the biggest can of Lysol I could find.

Thankfully the Tamiflu kicked into gear fairly fast. The highest his fever ever got was 102.5 early Thursday morning. Of course it didn't hurt that he had his own personal nurse to oversee his recovery. Really the only nursey thing I did was check to make sure his lungs were clear to make sure it wasn't pneumonia (Benj had it the week before). Either way, we kicked swine flu's tail. He was feeling much better Friday, almost 100% on Saturday. Today he is at work, regardless of his hypochondriac boss who psychosomatically has every virus for at least 30 minutes when he hears someone else is sick.

I had everyone at church on Sunday pray that I would not end up getting it as well. I informed Matthew that I would have a "come apart" if I couldn't go to Cinci to see my famiy for T-giving. I was popping Vitamins and drinking orange juice like a kid eating candy. So...as Thanksgiving comes around this week, I am super thankful for a healthy husband. Bring on that turkey!

Recent notes on life:

1. Ed offered Matthew a 1 year post doc hoping that we would stay around for a year while I start Nurse Practitioner school (and get instate tuition, the difference from instate to out of state being about $400 an hour). I think Ed is not ready to let Matthew leave ;)

2. Matthew has started applying for other post docs/ jobs. Keep us in your prayers!

3. I have 2 more tests left until I am officially in my 4th and worst semester. yikes!

4. I read today in a magazine at the gym that the 5 best places for great hair include: Santa Barbera, San Francisco, and San Diego. So... when people came to visit us, not only would they be visiting somewhere awesome, but your hair would apparently look fabulous for the length of your stay. What's not to love?

5. Ashley texted me today and said, "I just drove by a Christmas tree lot, and I almost burst into tears". Come on Mom and Dad. What's more important, the physical health of one child or the emotional health of another?

6. I am super pumped about leaving for Lex/Cinci tomorrow night!

7. Iron Bowl is Friday. Roll Tide?!

8. Glee... The best new show in a very long time. The music is incredible. If you love showtunes, which let's be honest, who doesn't?.... you will appreciate this...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Manager of Happy Acres Farm
Thank you for your blog.
We are glad that Matthew is better. We hope you have a nice and safe trip this week. we hope to see you all soon.