.

.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hardison's Houston Visit and House Upgrades!

Matthew's parents came to visit us last weekend here in Houston!  It was nice having people to show around our new town!  We (or should I say David and Sandra) spent most of the weekend doing various home improvement projects.  Incredibly awesome to get some more things done around here!  Since I've started work, M and I have been so busy during the week, we haven't had the time to tackle our growing house "to do" list. 


Project #1.  Finally recovering our kitchen table chairs!  I've been wanting to do this since we lived in Bham! We got a great deal on the fabric at Joann's.

Before

After!
Project #2- Fixing our garage door!  It is now functioning properly!  Thankfully our cars don't have to sit out in the sweltering heat anymore!
Project #3- Repainting our bedroom furniture.  M bought this furniture 5 years ago when he first moved to Bham.  Needless to say, I wasn't too attached to the "manly" look of them... Leather hardware involved...  So we decided to paint them and put on new hardware.  David did all the work! I picked an antique white paint color. 



Project #4-  Teach Andrea to sew!  Success!  I have been intimated by sewing for years.  I finally took the plunge and bought a sewing machine.  Since, we had leftover fabric from the chairs, Sandra and I made pillows!  Sandra was a very patient teacher.... I didn't catch on too quickly!  Unfortunately the fabric for my curtains for the kitchen hasn't come in yet... We'll see how I do on making those on my own!


Saturday night we went out to eat for an early celebration for M's birthday.  We went to a 5 star restaurant in Houston called Mike's American cuisine.  Food was exceptional.


Finished project!  Having them dry a little longer before putting them back in our room.


Sunday afternoon we took them to the Natural Science Museum in the Museum District downtown. 

Now for some before an after photos of our bedroom.  A long time ago, I posted about how M and I were going to use an antique door as a headboard.  Well it's finally done!

Before picture of the furniture and bed.  I left it unmade cause I figured it would make it look more sad :)

I started out by washing the door with a solution of soap and a little bleach. 

After 4-5 hours and 6 trips to Home Depot, M finally got it hung on the wall.  Let's just say, there's no way this thing is coming down for the 3 years we'll be here!

And now After!  We bought risers for the bed too.  We didn't like being so close to the ground.  Matthew's old bed is currently in our "catch-all room".  It's possible we may have it set up with mattresses before my parents get here... but not likely!  No worries, there's another guest room down the hall..fully furnished!

The room still isn't completely finished.  We only have a few things hung, need curtains, etc... we eventually want to put a chair in the corner as well. 

But seriously... how good does the furniture look?  Thanks David!  Way to be a professional painter!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Everything looks great! Love the door. Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog An! It's so awesome to read up on how you guys are doing. And I love love love the door headboard! It looks great!
Miss you!
Emily