.

.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Since We've Been Here

I got off work early today.  Score!  As I was walking to my car, I briefly contemplated that I might go to the pool and take in some rays, until I got into my car and realized that today it is 105!  My chalky white skin could definitely use some sun, but definitely not enough to die of a heat stroke.... So, instead I opted to sit in bed and blog while watching my DVR'd episodes of ENews... I know, trivial as it may be, I can't get enough about The Royals, it's borderline obsessive.

We've been here about a month and a half.  I figured I'd fill everyone in on life in the Lonestar State....  Other than it being blistering hot, we're slowly(or maybe quickly...who knows) adjusting to life here.  We've already found a great church...we're placing membership on Sunday.  The congregation has been super friendly and made it very easy to get plugged in.  Answered prayer.  We found a small group that meets in our neighborhood with couples our age... HUGE answered prayer. And we found some really great friends, making it easier to be so far away from our old ones...never to be replaced though! Jobs are going well.  M is still getting used to having a set time to go into work and leave :)  He's also still tying up loose ends in Birmingham... he has had 2 reviews to write and submit, and another paper of his just got accepted...I'm failing to remember the name of the Journal.  Whoops.  Anyway, all that to say, Matthew has been extremely busy.  Going in to work early, leaving late, and getting home to do his "old" work.  I'm so proud of him!  Other than that, here are some pictures to bring everyone up to speed.

We went to an Astros game the 2nd week we were here.  It was a lot of fun, but definitely a different experience with the Park being enclosed.  Not to mention that the Astros are TERRIBLE!



I tried my hand at a chocolate souffle.  The recipe was awesome...although I wanted mine to come out fluffier... I'm pretty sure it's because I over folded the egg whites.  Thankfully it was an aesthetic issue and not a taste one :)

JULY 15-  Does the date give you any idea where we were? Waiting in line for HARRY POTTER!    It lived up to every expectation.  Definitely sad.  I'm not gonna hide it, of course I cried.



We literally received all 3 of these publications in the mail in 1 single day.  The mailman must think we are total losers. 


And 1.5 month later...  Guess what came in the mail today?
 
Due to a mix-up,  we made it to Houston without 2 things.... Our toolbox and my make-up (long story).  SO excited to finally have this back in my possession!  Call me shallow...I don't even care.

Guess what else is supposed to come in the mail today?  My new phone!  Goodbye stupid Android phone and hello Blackberry.  Sprint, you are terrible.  I hate your stinkin guts... I know hate is a strong word, but after spending 3.5 hours on the phone with them this past Saturday... I'm so over the "Now Network"... and as soon as our contracts are up next summer, we are peacing out!  IPhone 5's all around for these Hardisons! 


House pictures:  Here is what we have done with the house thus far.   We still have a lot to do.  Baby steps. 

Can't wait to get a new beautiful rug for this room.. Wait being the key word.  It's way down on the priority list for now.  Also planning on getting a loveseat...at some point. 


I love how Lex is chillin in the corner of this picture. Notice the pretty flowers M brought home! 



Our first furniture purchase in Houston.  We found this antique buffet/sideboard at a furniture flea market in the antique district in Houston.  Built in the 1950's... I'm obsessed with it... Not to mention we got a great deal on it.  I'm still contemplating whether I want to paint it.  I guess I will wait until we get our dining room table in... that we just bought this past Sunday!  The table was on back-order so it won't get here for a couple more weeks.  The house will definitely feel more complete with it... disregarding the fact that people will probably have to sit on folding chairs until we get real ones!
That's about it.  Gearing up to celebrate M's birthday next week!  Hint hint..it's the 11th :)  He has a presentation the day after his birthday, so it looks like we'll be waiting to celebrate until the weekend.  My good friend Aimee is coming to visit in a couple of weeks.  Labor Day we are going to be in Chicago with the Allens, Hasselbrings, and Joneses.  We are staying a couple extra nights to celebrate our 3 year anniversary!  And the week after we get back, Mom and Dad will be here for a short visit!  Looking forward to all the fun!

4 comments:

Uncle Kin and family said...

Glad things are going well on so many fronts. We've had 100+ days (temperature and humidity both!) here as well. Girls start school on Monday - iPads in hand. Boy do I feel old; I remember getting to watch the black and white tv in the school auditorium as our technology treat! Oh well, take care. We miss you.

Anonymous said...

manager of Happy Acres Farm
Thank you for the update.
Do be careful about staying in the sun. We like your house and new furniture.

Lisa Marie said...

So glad to see you are doing well in Houston! I just love the new house! SO adorable! And don't feel bad about the heat, it's been 100+ degrees here in Bham too! Love keeping up with you via blogging : )

kellylynne8 said...

I know that it is hard to leave what you've been comfortable with a start something new, but.....we are so happy to have you here in Houston. We are even happier to have you just right around the corner. Baby Glen is happy to have a new girlfriend :) Sorry Matt.