.

.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Birthday

10 years ago today, I made the decision to follow Christ's example and be baptized in the Caney Fork River at Hy-Lake Christian Camp ( or as Harpeth Hills calls it Camp Koinonia). So today is my spiritual birthday as my Mimi likes to call it.


The beautiful Caney Fork River

I can remember parts of the occasion just like it is yesterday, but of course over time things grow fuzzy and you just forget. I remember thinking that I knew that this small little camp in the middle of Quebeck, TN was where I wanted to dedicate my life to Jesus. Not that the place itself matters at all, but to me it meant something. That camp was where I came to know Jesus in a way I never had before. It was the place that I had formed long lasting Christ-centered friendships, it was where I had grown to love my church family, and it was where I saw God work in the most mysterious of ways.

Camp was the HIGHLIGHT of my summers, especially in middle school before trips to Honduras would compete. In middle school I used to have a countdown on the ceiling in my bedroom so that every morning I woke up knowing just how many days were left. It was all you could talk about in the weeks before camp.... and camp shopping had to be done no earlier than a week beforehand, cause waiting... well, that was just unacceptable.



One of my best friends Whitney and I at camp in middle school...

As a youth group, we were blessed with the most amazing youth ministers. Jason and Jennifer were a God-send to our church...anyone would tell you that. Jason has the most creative mind and was able to tangibly show us just how awesome God is. We were blessed with incredible coaches who guided us and showed us how to live the way God called us to live. And we were blessed with an amazing church family that was supportive and caring.

So for 10 years of being a follower of Christ, I am still so blessed to be called one of His.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manager of Happy Acres Farm
Andrea, thank you for sharing the memory this important decision in you life with us.

Anonymous said...

Of course this made me cry. I am so thankful that you have such great memories of camp and you made the most important decision of your life at camp. I pray that one day your kids will be able to say the same thing. I love you.

Mom