.

.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Let's Play Catch... Up

I feel as if has been a while since I last posted. I'll be honest, the last couple of days I have not really felt like it, in fact I probably would have compared blogging to going to the dentist, like when you know in the back of your mind you need to do it...but you just can't (no offense David). I'll have you know that I am up to date on my teeth cleanings, something I cannot say for the XY member of my household.

Regardless, I will bite the bullet and fill in all you avid readers (the 5 or so of you :). The Saturday night we got back from Atlanta, Matthew and I headed over to his boss' house for his annual 4th of July bash. For those of you who don't remember, this house was our first home, while Matthew's boss was out of the country in Holland we lived there taking care of the house (estate is what is should be referred to) and their two dogs. There are not a lot of married couples who can say that their first home was an 8,000 square foot MANSION.

I had made three desserts for the party. There was no way I was showing up empty-handed, so I probably outdid myself slightly. I took cupcakes, chess squares, and my blackberry cobbler. I knew Ed (Matthew's boss) is a huge cobbler fan... a little sucking up never hurts, right? The party was fantastic, except the massively disappointing fireworks that Birmingham embarrassingly displayed this year. I mean Go Big or Go Home.... Otherwise, let's spend the money elsewhere, like maybe to keep Birmingham city from going bankrupt or on the planet sized potholes that Cindy (my car) always seems to find on 19th Street.


On the way to the party



I know. The red ones look more like hot pink, but I just couldn't bring myself to use the whole container of red food dye.



Our friend Barak.. who is about to move from Bham :(


Some of you may be wondering, "Why does your dog look like a sheep who has just been sheared?" Lexi was a very bad girl and got into some of Mommy's lip gloss.... this was the result of the groomer's attempts to try and remove all the sticky fur.


Getting geared up for the huge disappointment.

This past weekend my parents came down for a short one night visit. They arrived Friday and we met Matthew for lunch at NEWKS. Friday afternoon we were pretty much lazy and stayed in at the apartment. Friday evening we took my parents to Chez Fon Fon which is one of our favorite restaurants in Bham. It is the cafe version of an even nicer restaurant called Highlands. Highlands is rated the #4 fine dining restaurant in the country (by whom...i'm not sure, but someone who knows what they're talking about). Matthew and I have been wanting to go to Highlands since we moved here... and we are planning on going to our anniversary... and his birthday... and my birthday. Friday night we played little Matthew's favorite game Apples to Apples. Mom stayed up past nine!

Saturday morning, Matthew and I made breakfast for everyone, and then Mom and I headed out to do some shopping, while Matthew took buddy and Dad to the pool. We met back up for lunch at Acapulcos (our favorite little hole in the wall Mexican place) before they hit the road. Little Matthew and dad had to get back because they were headed up for Harpeth Hills Junior Camp on Sunday. If I had known that my week this week was gonna be so slow I would have begged to go... It's just not summer without church camp! Anyway, thanks so much for coming! It was a great 24 hours! We love having guests!









This is what we did in our spare time. Remember what I said in a earlier post about Lexi?... Just watch.

That pretty much catches you up on our latest happenings. No tests for me this week... hooray! Granddaddy Wayne and Grandma Eva... we shall see you soon!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great time in B'ham. As usual, we ate too much at all those wonderful restaurants! Andrea, your cobbler and quiche were fantastic. I am starting to get more recipes from you! Matthew, hope your head is better :)Looking forward to this weekend!

Mom

Laura K. said...

hilarious. 12 days does not constitute forever in the blog world. love that you mentioned your mom staying up past nine. and you really have a friend named barak?! can i meet him? or is it pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable. if so, strike that from the record.

Anonymous said...

Manager of Happy Acres Farm
Thank you for the blog and pictures. We will see you at midnight on Thursday.