.

.

Monday, September 7, 2009

1 Down... 59 to go

Well since I have not exactly been carrying my weight around here (in the blogosphere) I am getting to write the anniversary post commemorating our first year together as husband and wife. I know, our dedicated readers are probably wishing that Ann would have retained the duties for this important entry but fear not! I promise a delightful read.

I could bore you with all of the mundane details of exactly what we did for our anniversary (Flemings, ate our 1 year old cake topper - still tasted awesome!, watched the slide show from our rehearsal dinner, listened to the audio cd of our ceremony - ann cried more this time than at the live event) but I think a more appropriate post would be to reflect on the first year of the rest of our lives.

In the word's of Lou Gherig (a nickname I had for Andrea way back in the beginning - her initials were ALS) today i consider myself to be the luckiest man on the face of the earth. These last 33 months with Andrea Lynn have been the happiest of my life, especially the last year when we began our life together. There are so many aspects of Andrea that I am thankful for and love and I have been thinking about them a lot leading up to our first anniversary. I know the stereotype is that men dont care/forget anniversaries but that does not apply to me. I had been looking forward to yesterday for a long time! I am so blessed to have a wife who loves me, makes me laugh, challenges me in so many ways, makes me a better person, cooks amazing meals, has an eye for decorating (no matter what she may tell you), and who is a caring, truly beautiful (i know its a cliche word but if you have seen her you know there is no other appropriate) christian woman.

I have so many memories of our first, eventful year together, taking an impromptu trip to Atlanta in the fall, decorating our barely-unpacked apartment for Christmas together, going to the Killers concert, going to umpteen weddings, family vacations, Barons games, the Alabama theater, but these are all memories that you have heard before on this blog. The memories that are most important to me are the ones that would be the least important to you, the small, boring insignificant details that make up our every day life. I could pick one and share it, and in fact already had a couple of sentences down before I back-spaced them away. But I think I will keep them special, keep them between my wife ( a wonderful phrase I still love to say) and me. There is a scene at the end of Saving Private Ryan where Ryan is asking Tom Hank's character about his wife and Hanks replies "No, no, that I keep for me." Well who am I to argue, the little things, the important things, the things only I know, I keep for me.

I love my wife more than anything, and more than I thought possible, thank you God for her and please bless us with many more years together.



Please enjoy the slideshow we compiled for our 1st year of marriage.



4 comments:

Leann said...

Happy anniversary to a wonderful couple!!

Anonymous said...

Matthew, now everyone can see why our family was so proud that you married our daughter! What sweet, beautiful words that would make any mom proud. We are so thankful God brought you into our lives. We love you and are so happy that your first year was so wonderful..it will only get better! Love, Vicki

Anonymous said...

Ok...the slideshow made me cry!!

Love Mom/Vicki

Anonymous said...

Manager of Happy Acres Farm
Congratulations on No. 1
May you have many more happy times together. Why do you now plan to stop at60?