.

.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Thanks Dad

Most of you who know me would assume that I received about 90% of my genes from my mother.  Well, I'm here to tell you, that although I am almost completely a mini me of good ole' Vick the Chick.. I have a lot of my Dad in me as well.  We're both night owls, love history, sports, and reading pretty much anything and everything, have bad vision, share a love for old black and white movies, especially anything by Alfred Hitchcock or starring Jimmy Stewart, and we're two of the more frugal ones in the family (ahem, Ash and Mom).  Unfortunately, I didn't receive his rationality, levelheadedness or patience, but I mean hey, we can't win 'em all.  But I was lucky enough to get his....Allergies.  Awesome.

While my mother usually gets to enjoy this time of year, the rest of us spend our nights hacking and sneezing.  When people ask me what exactly I'm allergic to, my response is everything.  I'm not kidding.  According to my allergist, mold is worst for me, along with pollen, ragweed, grass, and pretty much anything green or growing outside, plus dogs that shed and of course cats.  I'm still scarred from allergy shots.  I began taking them when I was little, and the only thing I remember was running around the house screaming, while my mother most likely chased me around with a needle... not open of course.  In high school, I was the only kid I knew that had to go downtown to Baptist after school to get not only 1 allergy shot, but 3.  Not to mention, that you have to wait 30 minutes after your shot to see if you had a reaction to it.  Who has time for that?  I loved the weeks that I could convince my dad to be a rebel and leave before we got checked.

Currently, I'm sleeping on 3 pillows, trying to prevent myself from coughing and keeping my husband up at all hours of the night. I've taken more than enough Zyrtec and Benadryl.  So now I'm wishing I was still taking allergy shots, but if I can't give them to myself... I'm not interested.

So thanks Dad.  Appreciate it :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Manager of Happy Acres Farm
We hope that you are much better soon.