.

.

Monday, June 29, 2009

This is Weekend Update...with Andrea Hardison

After a LOOOONG week, Matthew and I were so looking forward to the weekend. I had my second pharm test and a pharm assignment last week, and I'm so sure that I was just a joy to live with :) Weekend update later on in the post...


I know that I have been talking about Pharm so much, but I am also in other classes this semester! I am currently in OB (Obstetrics and Gynecology) this semester. It has been a very eye-opening experience. I got to see my first delivery two weeks ago and this past Friday I was in the neonatal ICU. Unbelievable how tiny some of those babies were. There was one who had been born at 22 weeks...incredible...she is now 14 days old. I could have held her in the palm of my hand. Another baby had to have open heart surgery in the middle of the NICU. Her ductus arteriosus did not close after she was delivered, causing her to have a murmur (it's a little more detailed than that but doesn't make the story anymore interesting!) The cardiothoracic team came up to the nursery to perform the surgery which is called a PDA ligation. The surgeon allowed me to look in and see her little heart...it was crazy. This baby was 27 weeks gestation and was 10 days old. There was a nurse-first-assist that helped the surgeon throughout the whole procedure, suturing, etc... Maybe a future calling for this OR loving student?!

Anyway... Friday night rolled around and I was exhausted! I decided to stay in for the majority of the evening and study while Matthew went to hang out with our good friend (his old roommate) Geoff. Later, Matthew came to pick me up and we all went to see Transformers II... Would not recommend it. The movie got out at 12:50...way to late for this girl!


Saturday we slept in, FINALLY! We made a quiche for lunch and then both studied for most of the day. We decided to cook dinner at home and tried out some new Food Network recipes. One being a pesto salmon on puff pastry...delicious. After dinner, we went to the Alabama Theatre to see Sound of Music! For those of you who know me, this is my favorite all time movie, and I was so excited to be able to see it on the big screen. I got chill bumps in the very first scene!





The Alabama Theatre is an old theatre built in 1927 by Paramount Studios to showcase Paramount movies in Alabama. Now they show movies on the weekends mainly, including the Mamma-Mia sing-along that J, K, M and I attended a couple of weeks ago! The theatre is absolutely beautiful. A one of a kind landmark. Matthew and I definitely agreed it's worth paying the extra buck or two to see movies there! At the beginning of every show they have an organist play, and at intermission he comes back and there is a sing-along....So fun!

















Sunday morning we got up for church and community group (Sunday school). After Sunday school, our community group was headed to one of the couple's parent's lake house on Smith Lake. It was about an hour drive, so an easy trip for a day of fun in the sun! It was great to spend time with friends and relax a little before another crazy week ahead. Two tests this week!








We are Atlanta-bound this weekend for a mini-vacation with Matthew's family. Hooray for a Braves game! I'm also holding out for a trip to the aquarium..hint hint David :) An aquarium is a perfect solution for people like me who love animals..but hate the heat at a zoo! Happy 4th!

No comments: